Monday, February 21, 2011

All Children Love Macaroni and Cheese



Tested: Giada di Laurentiis' "Baked Macaroni and Cheese Cupcakes", Episode Giada's Kidz Kitchen: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/baked-macaroni-and-cheese-cupcakes-recipe/index.html

Result: No Go (Ea and Ciccio), Met with Great Enthusiasm (Rina)

This is one of the first universal "truths" about childhood that has been perpetuated by moms and chefs throughout the ages since the invention of macaroni and cheese (which must have been, let's face it, somewhere in the 1950's).  Upon closer scrutiny, we must include certain addenda to this monolithic statement.  My first observation: people fall into one of three possible mac n' cheese categories.  Perhaps, as my oldest daugther Rina, you are an unabashed enthusiast.  This means that you will eat any combination of pasta and cheeses, either melted together on the stove top or melted and then baked in the oven until golden and bubbly.  If you are part of this group, you are equally enthusiastic about macaroni and cheese that comes from the blue box as you are about the gourmet version that Paula Deen infuses with enough fat content to stop your heart as you watch her show in hi-def. 

If you are under the age of 15, you likely live in the same camp as my daughter Ea, who believes--and who could blame her?--that any pasta worth eating resides in those trademark tall, slender cardboard boxes, blue or otherwise.  No variations are allowed, either in pasta shape or cheese flavoring.  Oh, you might be able to get away with a cheese powder that isn't yellow, for instance; but don't go thinking that this person will sit at your table and polish off an alfredo version of the classic dish, or, say, rotini instead of elbows.  May God be with you if you try. 

Then there are the hard-core mac n' cheese heretics, the Arians of the pasta and cheese world who would deny the divinity of this staple dish.   Such people cannot be convinced that such a dish could be tasty or even remotely good for you.  My son, Ciccio, adheres to this philosophy.  So it is always with great amusement that I observe every television personality (chef or otherwise) tout the universal mangia-bility of this dish.  I have also been told that mac n' cheese is the ideal camouflage for undesirable foodstuffs, such as vegetables and other hideous fruits of the earth.  To use modern parlance: iGuffaw. 

But perhaps you don't understand my skepticism?  You are probably thinking, what food tragedy is lurking in her past that makes her so bitterly opposed to such an innocuous dish?  I should take this moment to identify myself a little bit more, to give you a better sense of who I am and dispel any suspicions that I, myself, have a thing against food.  Nothing could be further from the truth.

In my semi-large Italian-American family (there were seven of us all together--is that large?), food was absolutely about nourishment.  I remember my mother coming home from a full day's work and going immediately into the kitchen to make epic portions of chicken with tomatoes, onions and potatoes or legions of cutlets baked in the oven until they were crispy and juicy.  Her brood was hungry--and needed to be fed immediately! We did not eat out at all (who could afford it?)  and we did not eat much in the way of junk food or fast food. 

It didn't occur to my brothers and me that the food we got at home was quite different from what our "more" American friends ate at their houses.  The overcooked chicken tenders, canned vegetables and, of course, boxed macaroni and cheeses that they endured daily seemed like foreign cuisine to me.  My friends were also inevitably banned from drinking during dinner (so that they would eat more), a situation that distressed me then as much as, say, the idea of waterboarding distresses me now.  Everything that we ate in our house might have been recognized generically by our neighbors--seafood, pork, chicken, vegetables--but the form that they took in my mother's hands raised the raw ingredients to the outer limits of the American imagination. 

Seafood meant fresh blue crabs, chased around the kitchen floor by my brothers and me until a minute before they hit the boiling water; the beautiful white flesh of squid, purple tentacles dangling out of our mouths as we tried to make a sibling laugh hard enough to shoot drink out of his nose (yes, somehow we were allowed to eat and drink); mussels that my mother scrubbed up in the sink and steamed in a large pot on the stove.  The Gorton's fisherman did not know our address.  

Meatballs, yes.  But these were filled with raisins and pinoli nuts, a surprise that I cannot imagine would be very welcome to small children these days.  They were my father's favorite and because of my devotion to him, I preferred them above the regular ones.  The vegetables we prized resembled weeds rather than anything commercially sanctioned (though broccoli rabe is quite hip now).  Weeds and bread would be more than enough for a beautiful lunch.  Mac n' cheese?  Somehow, I don't remember it. 

I couldn't guess then what I know now.  Dinner is about more than food; it is the most efficient vehicle of tradition and culture, especially in a land that has none of its own to impart to its citizens.  Companies may tell us what to eat: the Jolly Green Giant and Mr. Gorton and the Blue Box will tell us what children like to eat (and should eat!) in the absence of families with a strong ethnic background and family members with a cultural memory.  You might think, then, that Ciccio's problem with mac n' cheese is my problem with it: its total lack of memorability, the homogenous blend of cheeses that came from who knows where. 

But that would imply that he hungered for something more authentic or culturally consistent. This, my friends, is simply not the case.  He doesn't like cheese.  He doesn't want pasta with "stuff on it".  So what we have here is a mom with a philosophy and a kid with a texture problem.  At the moment, we both concur: there has to be a better food substance for this boy.  At least we have pasta.  Now we just have find a suitable partner for it.

5 comments:

  1. Will he eat nuts? Fruits? Dried fruit? You can always make pasta and give him a side dish of fruit (dried or fresh) and nuts (or, if he'll eat peanut butter, an apple with peanut butter)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No nuts, no dried fruit. Certain fruits are acceptable (apples, pears, most summer fruits--and strangely enough, grapefruit). He definitely loves the apple/peanut butter combo, which we rely on far too much for lunches. My goal is to get him to eat a prepared meal (I know my raw food friends would disagree). We sometimes have success with pasta and a peanut sauce, but after a while dealing with the peanut butter just becomes so unappetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Growing up in Arizona, I learned early that food without liquid was not only unthinkable, it was stupid. Besides, when the cook in the family added as much salt and margarine to everything as my mother did...it tended to leave one with a "from my cold dead hands" attitude toward one's water glass.

    I was also an only child (by any broad definition of the term), and my father would happily eat anything put in front of him, so perhaps my mother felt she'd earned a culinary license to kill. (Honestly, I don't mean that as ominously as it sounds. However, my mother was one of the great lackadaisical domestics.)

    We had quite a few home-cooked dinners--fried/baked chicken, cube steak, pork chops--and I actually grew up happily eating things like spinach and broccoli (once they were smothered in the aforementioned margarine and salt). In a rare burst of motivation, my mother even made salmon croquettes. Once. The rest of our cuisine consisted of things like "dinner" hot dogs or hamburgers (served w/o buns), TV dinners, and canned chili (always a crowd-pleaser). I grew up thinking I hated fish because I hated fish sticks.

    Funnily...no mac and cheese. Boxed or free-range. And it never occurs to me to make it now (or ask my husband to make it, more likely). My son is a huge fan, though...as long as it's NOT from the box. Velveeta and powdered cheese are a bigger bane to him than his two irritating busmates.

    He also dislikes suspense in movies, fresh tomatoes (so do I), and buttons. Maybe there's a connection. I dunno.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Culinary license to kill" may be the most brilliant term I have ever heard, Pia. The question is: how did you feel about those "dinner" hot dogs and canned chili? Do you wax nostalgic or thank God you put the distance of years between you and them? We all have our own sense of familial cuisine and it is the thing by which all other food experiences are judged. Boxed or free range.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some day, when the memories don't bring on uncontrollable facial twitches, I will share with you all my adorable mother's attempts at (I use this term loosely) 'preparing dinner'. A list of her tried and true meals nearly always involved canned peas (try that warmed up for the 3rd time - sort of turns into a paste that defies explanation. Another memory I have is her dinner pancakes. Bisquick with a can of corn thrown in. But I'm pretty sure the boiled sausage was what caused the night terrors.

    So, as much as my dear mom is the loveliest person I know, she can't cook worth a darn. I have none of the memories that you share, MedievalP. Sadly, I am *trying* to find one meal my kids can look back on when I'm in the nursing home drooling on myself. They can see the wreck I have become and say, "Remember mom's ______________ - wasn't that the best?" So far, this has not happened and so I will have to put off the dementia until I find that special dish. However, I will say that the highlight of my kid's life in terms of meals, is the day after we our paycheck hits the checking account. That is when I have enough money to go out and buy everyone's favorite - Stouffers! In particular, Stouffers Mac and Cheese. If you are very quiet, every other Friday you will will hear my kids whooping with joy, as they go through the Target shopping bags in search of what Mr. or Mrs. Stouffers has brought them for dinner. These will be the memories my children will bring with them into adulthood. I'm not proud.

    On the other hand, I never open a can of peas or corn. So perhaps there is something in evolution. My children may actually take the next step and boil water and make the Mac and Cheese from scratch for their little ones.

    A sad commentary on our times. But I do know that - in a pinch - Stouffers and Kraft will keep us from starving.

    Oh - a last note in this very long comment - oddly, my mom who, as I mentioned, is not exactly at home in the kitchen, makes *the* best homemade baked macaroni and cheese. Of all things! However, she uses a scary block of cheese-food to make it and I have tried to stay away from this particular substance. First, because they think they can shape it like a brick of gold and charge the same prices - and secondly - if I start to make mom's mac and cheese with the (okay, I'll say it) Velveeta - then I take away my mom's one and only claim to fame in the kitchen. I will have to come up with my own. I need to work fast. I feel the dementia coming on.

    ReplyDelete